Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | RSS
Tom Lodziak is a Cambridge-based table tennis coach who blogs over at www.tabletenniscoach.me.uk and offers one-to-one coaching to players of all ages and abilities.
Back in May, Tom made the trip to Austria to visit the Werner Schlager Academy Table Tennis School for a week of intensive training. The WSA is one of the best training centres in Europe and many of the top European players are based there full-time. Their Table Tennis School opens up the facility to players of all standards allowing everyone to benefit from the high-quality training and coaching, and get a glimpse of the professionals in action.
I’ve wanted to visit the WSA for a couple of years now but haven’t managed to find the time or make it happen. That’s why I was so keen to get Tom on the show to find out exactly how it all works and if it lives up to the hype.
In this episode you’ll learn:
- How Tom got started in the sport in his mid-twenties.
- Why he believes training camps are so important for player development.
- All about the WSA including; the cost, the entry requirements, the accommodation, the daily timetable, the type of training and much more.
- What Tom learnt from top coach Richard Prause.
- About some of the other training camps available in the UK and Europe.
- Tom’s top tip from his week of training at the WSA.
- How you can get in touch with Tom to ask him any questions you may have.
Links from this episode:
- Tom’s Table Tennis Website
- Highbury TTC
- Werner Schlager Academy
- Richard Prause (Wikipedia)
- Tom’s Cambridge League Results
- Table Tennis for Beginners (Tom’s Udemy Course)
- Table Tennis Camps in UK & Europe (Tom’s blog post)
- Tom’s YouTube Channel
- Tom Lodziak on Twitter (@TableTennisTom)
- Tom Lodziak on LinkedIn
Thanks for listening!
Thank you so much for joining us for Episode 23 of The Expert Table Tennis Podcast with Tom Lodziak. As I mentioned in the outro, you can now find these show notes by visiting www.experttabletennis.com/episode23, and I have created similar links for all of the previous episodes.
I would like to say a big thank you to Tom for joining me on the podcast and sharing his experiences at the Werner Schlager Academy with us. I strongly recommend you go and check out the WSA website and have a look at their Table Tennis School. You can find out more information here.
Don’t forget to check out Tom’s blog as well. I really enjoyed his most recent post giving advice to new table tennis players playing in their first local league season. Read that here.
Please share the show
I don’t want to go and jinx it with just a couple of days to go but it looks like we are definitely going to achieve over 6,000 podcast downloads during the month of October! This is a fantastic result considering that just a couple of months ago, in August, the show was only receiving just over 3,000 downloads.
I would like to say a huge thank you to everybody who has subscribed on iTunes, and left the show an honest iTunes Podcast review, shared it on Facebook or Twitter, or simply just mentioned it to a friend. We couldn’t have done it without you and I appreciate your help so much!
That’s all for now. I will have another episode for you next Friday featuring a brand new yet-to-be-confirmed guest!