Sam Priestley has been a good friend of mine for over ten years. We first met at a church youth group when we were both 15 years old. Sam has never been particularly sporty. He did a lot of rowing back when I first met him but then quit while he was still in school. He was never particularly good at racket sports or football.
Towards the end of 2013 I came up with the idea of the Expert in a Year challenge and my wife Katie suggested Sam as a possible guinea pig for the experiment. Then, for the whole of 2014, I coached him table tennis and immersed him in the world of the sport I had spent the best part of my life playing. After the challenge finished, and the buzz from our viral video died down, Sam decided to turn the experience into a book and began writing Expert in a Year: The Ultimate Table Tennis Challenge. It is now finished, and available to buy!
In this episode, you will learn a little more about Sam, the challenge, and, in particular, the book. I worked closely with Sam to produce and edit the book and we are both really pleased with it. This interview is a great accompaniment to the book and gives you an insight into how Sam views his experience six months on, and more importantly, what he has learned from the challenge.
Buy the book!
If you would like to buy a copy of Expert in a Year: The Ultimate Table Tennis Challenge (by Sam Priestley & Ben Larcombe) you can do so on Amazon. It is available as an ebook for Kindle, a physical print book, and an audiobook (coming soon).
In this episode you’ll learn:
- How Sam got on training at ISH recently, after a couple of months off.
- Why he decided to turn Expert in a Year into a book.
- What is in the book and who it is for.
- Sam’s top tips for other beginners and improvers.
- Practical advice for your training and matches.
- What Sam thinks of Andy Couchman’s new table tennis challenge.
- Sam’s future table tennis plans, including the coming season.
- How to buy a copy of the book.
Links from this episode:
- The Expert in a Year Challenge
- Sam’s Central London League Results (2014/15)
- Guy Plays Table Tennis Every Day for a Year Video (YouTube)
- Andy Couchman Table Tennis
- Buy ‘Expert in a Year’ on Amazon.co.uk
- Buy ‘Expert in a Year’ on Amazon.com
Thanks for listening!
Thank you so much for joining us. I really hope you enjoyed the show and please also support us by buying a copy of the book.
The show had a really great month in July, with over 3,000 podcast downloads, but I would love for that number to continue going up. To help me spread the word about the show and reach more table tennis fans, please could you subscribe on iTunes, leave us an honest iTunes Podcast review, and share The Expert Table Tennis Podcast with your friends and followers on Facebook and Twitter. I really appreciate your help!
A big thank you to Sam for joining me on this episode. I hope he has a lot of success in the upcoming 2015/16 season.
I’ll be back with a new episode next Friday.