Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | RSS
Rory Scott is a table tennis player and coach from Horsham in the UK. He is 38 years old and has been playing table tennis for about 23 years. For the past 10 years, Rory’s level and ranking have been fairly steady and he usually finds himself somewhere between 200th-250th in England.
Now Rory finds himself approaching the age of veteran’s table tennis (40+ years) and after seeing Sam’s progress during The Expert in a Year Challenge in 2014 he has decided to start his own ‘Mark II’ version. He will dedicate himself to a year of training (he usually only coaches and plays matches) to see if he can significant up his game, and subsequently his ranking.
In this episode, you will learn a little more about Rory and his history in the sport before we jump into how he is getting on at roughly a third of the way through his challenge. SPOILER ALERT: He’s made some pretty impressive progress already. If you’re the kind of player that is serious about getting your head down, working hard, and reaping the rewards then I’m sure you will find Rory’s story very motivating.
In this episode you’ll learn:
- How Rory started playing table tennis.
- Why he decided to start his own Expert in a Year challenge.
- The goals he hopes to achieve by April 2016.
- How much practice he is getting in each week and what he is doing.
- Which equipment he is using and how he plays.
- His busy training schedule for the month of August.
- What his recent results have been like since starting to practice.
- How he got on in a couple of tournament matches against Darius Knight.
- What he believes about talent vs practice.
- How he views his chances of success.
Links from this episode:
- Horsham Spinners Table Tennis Club
- The Expert in a Year Challenge with Sam Priestley
- Hennebont Training Camp
- eBatt –Topspin Summer Camp
- Borussia Dusseldorf Training Camp
- Table Tennis England Rankings
- Heritage Oil Cup
- Table Tennis Ireland
- Horsham Spinners Facebook Group
- Rory Scott on Facebook
- Rory Scott on Twitter
Thanks for listening!
Thank you so much for joining us. I really hope you enjoyed the show.
We have hit double figures! There are now 10 episodes of The Expert Table Tennis Podcast. Download numbers are rising but it would still really help us out if you could s we are a fairly new podcast it would really help us out if you could go and leave us an honest review on iTunes. It’s very simple to do and will help us to get noticed in the crowded world of podcasting.
A big thank you to Rory for joining me on this episode. I’ll have another interview for you in a weeks time, and I’m hoping to get Sam Priestley on the show to talk about how he has got on post-Expert in a Year.