Ever since I started The Expert Table Tennis Podcast, back in April, Dora Kurimay has been on my list of guests I wanted to have on the show. That shouldn’t come as a surprise because Dora is a former Hungarian national team player, has dual masters degrees in Psychology and Sports Psychology, works as a mental performance coach, and is the author of the book Get Your Game Face On Like The Pros! Basically, she’s the perfect interviewee!
I read her book last summer and really enjoyed it. There aren’t that many good table tennis books around, but hers is certainly one of them. I’m sure that after listening to today’s show you’ll find yourself compelled to buy it and continue learning more about how to improve the mental side of your game.
Also in this interview, I ask Dora a few questions direct from Expert Table Tennis Academy members. This isn’t something that I have done before but I felt like it worked really well, so I may do it again with future guests.
In this episode you’ll learn:
- How Dora first started playing table tennis.
- What she achieved in the late 90’s as a top cadet and junior player in Europe.
- Why she quit playing table tennis at the age of 19.
- Her tips for making a comeback to the sport following a long break.
- The key lessons from her book.
- How to use “deep breathing” as a technique to improve your performance.
- Why you should create a “mistake ritual”.
- Q&A: How to clear your mind in between points.
- Q&A: How to focus and stay in the moment.
- Q&A: How to play as well in matches as you do in practice.
- Q&A: How to deal with nerves and conquer fear.
Links from this episode:
- Join the ETT Academy HERE!
- Dora’s Website
- Dora’s USATT Ratings History
- Get Your Game Face On Like The Pros! (Amazon.com)
- Get Your Game Face On Like The Pros! (Amazon.co.uk)
- Episode #20 with Larry Hodges
- Dora Kurimay on Twitter
- Dora Kurimay on LinkedIn
Thanks for listening!
Thank you so much for joining us for Episode 24 of The Expert Table Tennis Podcast with Dora Kurimay. As I mentioned in the outro, you can now find these show notes by visiting www.experttabletennis.com/episode24, and I have created similar links for all of the previous episodes.
I would like to say a big thank you to Dora for joining me on the show. You should definitely go and buy her book Get Your Game Face On Like The Pros! from Amazon. I have put the links below…
Don’t forget to check out Dora’s website as well. She hasn’t posted much new content recently, but she has some really great in-depth interviews on their with other professional players and coaches. Definitely worth a read!
Please share the show
We absolutely smashed it in October and the show clocked up 6,169 downloads. I would like to say a huge thank you to everybody who has subscribed on iTunes, and left the show an honest iTunes Podcast review, shared it on Facebook or Twitter, or simply just mentioned it to a friend. We couldn’t have done it without you and I appreciate your help so much!
It would be amazing to beat that again in November and get up to 7,000 downloads but… the only way that is going to happen is if you guys get sharing on Facebook and Twitter. Please use the buttons located to the left and share this episode NOW!
Thank you so much.
That’s all for now. I will have another episode for you next Friday featuring a brand new yet-to-be-confirmed guest!