Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | RSS
Brett Clarke is half of the coaching team at ttEDGE, a website created by three-time Olympian William Henzell to provide online coaching and instruction to table tennis players the world over.
Brett was also part of the Australian National Team for over fifteen years and spent two years as National Team Coach in 2009 and 2010. During that time he received worldwide recognition for being a particularly talented server. He now enjoys coaching players of all abilities (both online and in person) and is passing on some of his service tricks to the rest of us through his “How to Serve – Like a Boss!” YouTube videos.
I’ve never had particularly strong serves myself, and I know this is something that a lot of players struggle with, so I decided to get Brett Clarke on the show to give us all some advice on how to turn ourselves into stronger servers. We also have a chat about the ttEDGE system and the current state of online table tennis coaching.
In this episode you’ll learn:
- Why Brett is currently living in the Philippines.
- How he got involved with ttEDGE and what his plans are for it.
- His story from hardbat player to the the Australian men’s team.
- What was the highlight of his playing career.
- Why he had to start coaching at the age of 19, alongside his playing.
- How Brett became such a fantastic server.
- Tips to improve your reverse pendulum serve.
- How to use deception in your serves.
- Brett’s thought on Andy Couchman’s three year challenge.
- The importance of learning how to “whip” your wrist and forearm (TOP TIP)
- How to email Brett with any questions you might have.
Links from this episode:
- William Henzell (Wikipedia)
- Table Tennis Australia
- Bounce by Matthew Syed
- Brett Clarke’s Reverse Pendulum Serve Tutorial (YouTube)
- Andy Couchman’s Challenge
Thanks for listening!
Thank you so much for joining us for Episode 26 of The Expert Table Tennis Podcast with ttEDGE coach Brett Clarke. I would like to say a huge thank you to Brett for joining me on the show. I hope you enjoyed hearing a snippet of Brett’s wisdom, especially regarding how to improve the quality of your serves.
If you are interested in becoming a member of ttEDGE, and I highly recommend you do, here is the link you’ll need…
- Standard membership is free.
- Platinum membership, which gives you access to everything and one-on-one feedback from Brett himself, is only $19.95 per month.
Please share the show
As I write this it is midday on Wednesday 18th November and the podcast has had roughly 3,300 views. It looks like we are on track for another 6,000+ month – which is awesome.
I would like to encourage you to please support the show and subscribe on iTunes, leave us an honest iTunes Podcast review, share this episode on Facebook or Twitter, or simply just mentioned it to a friend. I appreciate your help so much!
I’ll have a brand new amazing guest for you next Friday. I hope you have a fantastic weekend.